What is an individual retreat?
Why take a retreat?
Why take a retreat in the city?
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
- A pause from life's stress and busy pace in order to gain perspective and inspiration.
- A time to slow down, rest, and focus on you and your relationship with God.
- A deliberate choice to step outside everyday routines and demands of life so we can be quiet and listen to God.
In the hustle and bustle of our whirling world it's sometimes difficult to find our center and know what "normal" is. A retreat is an anchor that helps ground us to the Source of life and gain some equilibrium.
"Be strengthened with power through his spirit un your inner being." Ephesians 3:16
- Time away in quiet reminds us that we are human and have a soul.
- We crave rest and need time away to be renewed and refreshed.
- When we draw near to God He draws near to us (James 4:8).
- A retreat helps the unraveled parts of us be put back together.
- Resting body, soul, and mind helps us become a better person so we can impact our world for good.
- A retreat gives us space to "be" instead of "do".
- A spiritual retreat helps us to know ourselves and God better.
- It's a chance to hit the "restart" button - a chance for a new beginning.
- A quiet retreat can help us discern big and small life decisions, and to look at where we've been and where we are going.
- To follow the example of Jesus (Mark 6:31).
- God likes to hear your voice, and God wants to speak to you.
- Retreats are part of healthy, holistic living.
Why the city?
"By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted." Proverbs 11:11
- God loves and is at work in the city.
- The city mirrors the paradoxes of life; strength and weakness, longing and satisfaction, contemplation and activity.
- It's a place to nurture faith in the midst of real life. It helps one see that everything in our world is sacred.
- It's an oasis of reflective, sacred space conveniently located.
- Access to parks and some of the world's greatest art to facilitate your prayer.